Friends of Coonley
The Friends of Coonley School is a not-for-profit organization of parents, community members, teachers, and school administrators dedicated to supporting the John C. Coonley Elementary School through fundraising efforts. FOC is rooted in the belief that great teachers and administrators build the best schools when they have the resources and funds they need.
Since the organization was formed in 2005, Friends of Coonley has raised over $200,000 to directly support Coonley School! Our spending priorities are set with the school administration, who determine their needs and request how the supplemental funds raised may be spent. Our two main fundraising efforts include an annual Silent Auction in the spring and a Fundraising effort in the Fall. In 2010, this effort including the introduction of the Coonley PRIDE STRIDE - a walk-a-thon that involved all the students and was received with resounding success in it's first year.
Thus far, funds raised by the FOC have been used to purchase and/or implement:
- Spanish classes for all grades K-8 - an ongoing effort
- A music program for all grades in partnership with the Old Town School of Folk Music - an ongoing effort
- Library/media tracking software to catalog materials and identify needs in the collection
- New library books and a fully outfitted Library space including tables, chairs and bookshelves
- Smart boards and media center computer and projection equipment
- Pre-K furniture
- Band instruments
- Build-out of the school's Science Lab including materials and equipment
- Document cameras for many classrooms
- New stage and window curtains for our gymnatorium
- New sound and lighting systems for our gymnatorium
- A new trophy case and new gym equipment for various sports
The FOC welcomes the participation of everyone interested in supporting Coonley School! FOC is always in need of both volunteer time and financial support.
Our Board of Directors consists of seven members, four of whom serve as officers (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer) for a one-year term. Responsibilities include attending monthly meetings, leading or serving on committees for key fundraising events, voting on issues/expenditures, and communicating and coordinating with other core school organizations: the Local School Council (LSC); Parent Teacher Organization (PTO); and school administration. Honorary Board members, often past members of the Board of Directors, are non-voting members who are invited to attend meetings, serve on committees, and continue to advise the Board and to be actively involved in the organization's fundraising activities.
Other opportunities include serving as a Committee Chair. Responsibilities include creation of the committee itself and communicating with the Board regarding updates for the event. Committee members help in planning events and attend committee meetings set up by the chair.
Of course, volunteers donate their time for specific events. Volunteers are the backbone of our operation and are needed throughout the year! Please email us if you are interested in helping out.